Skip to main content
Mary Mandrgoc, Realtor®
[email protected]
703-582-9539

Understanding & preventing damage from power surges at home

by Mary Mandrgoc 09/13/2023

Image text: Home safety guide power surges at home

A power surge in house electrical systems can cause damage both to your home and electronic devices. While power surges are not always possible to prevent, there are plenty of ways to limit the chance of damage in your home.

To help you learn more about power surges and your electrical system, here are some of the basics:

How do power surges cause damage?

Power surges happen when there is a sudden interruption and spike in electricity flowing to your home's electrical system. This can happen for a number of reasons, including lighting strikes and faulty power lines.

A power surge can cause damage by overloading the circuit breakers in your home. It can also damage electrical appliances plugged into the wall outlets. In some cases, a power surge can even cause sparks or fire. Power surge damage can be expensive to fix, as an electrical overload can affect multiple devices at once.

How to prevent power surges

A good method to safeguard your equipment is to unplug it when not in use. Many electrical devices have built-in surge protectors to mitigate the effects of a sudden burst of power. For everything else, you can use a power strip or wall outlet surge protector for extra safety.

Infographic: Power surges at home

You can also prevent damage from power surges by ensuring your home's electrical wiring is up to spec. Faulty wiring in the home poses a major risk, even without voltage spikes from an electrical surge. If you think you might have electrical issues in your home, consult a licensed electrician for advice and a professional safety inspection.